Saturday, April 26, 2014

6 way to say no to drugs

Refusal Skills
So, what do you do when someone pressures you to try drugs?
What are ways I can stay in charge? ~9 ways to say “NO” to Drugs~
It is important to note that each person is different and what works for one person may not work for you. You need to review this list and choose a few that you are comfortable using. Practice with your family to gain confidence!
1. Say “NO THANKS”. The easiest but some forget to try it. This often works when you are faced with friendly or teasing pressure.
2. Give a Reason, Fact or Excuse. The excuse needs to get you away from the person or situation. Practice an excuse so that you won’t hesitate and will sound confident. Have a code word to use with your parents. Text them the word and have them call to say you need to come home.
“My mom just called. Sorry..I gotta go. Something’s going on at home”.
“My parents would ground me for life”
“I forgot that I have a doctor’s appt. this afternoon”
“I already lost my phone privileges last week. If they find me doing this stuff I will not be able to go anywhere for a month!”
3. Walk Away. One of the most effective refusal skills. You may feel obligated to stand and face “the enemy” but you need to just leave. Say no and walk away while saying it.
4. Change the Subject. You can offer another alternative activity.
“No. Let’s go play ball instead”
“Let’s go get a snack at my house. I’m hungry.”
“I wanted to play my Xbox this afternoon”
5. Use Humor.
“No thanks. This stuff stunts my growth. I want to be tall to play ball.”
“Man, I need all the brain cells I can get. No thanks.”
“Pot makes you fat, stupid and gives you yellow teeth..I’ll pass.”
6. Broken Record or Repeated Refusal. Keep saying “no” over and over again. It will buy you some time to use another refusal technique or be an annoyance.

No comments:

Post a Comment